Monday, March 10, 2008

Too many MCs upset the B

With the Mighty DJ Hype in the minibus


First off I ought to say sorry to anyone that turned up to the London gig on Friday night - when I got there about 230am they'd shut the night down so I just got paid and left. It was a last-minute kind of event and I don't think they really had time to promote it prope
rly, but I'm sure the next one will be cool - I really like that venue, and didn't realise its where they do the Slimelight. Definitely gona go there to get my goth on at some point...

Germany on Saturday was great, flew to Hamburg and was then driven to Bremen for the gig, had a good chat to all the other DJs and had some traumatic moments in restaurants... First one was being the translator for all 7 of the other dudes and interpreting between menu/dj/mc/waiter. Then at the airport on the way home Hype nearly choked to death on a peice of bruschetta, and then the other guys eating with me sent back all their food for various random reasons. Worked out Ok in the end, but a bit embarrassing at the time...

Bremen Ravers

The gig in Bremen was great, I've played at that venue a few times before - its always rammed and the crowd is well up for it. My set went really well, but I had to put up with 2 or 3 MCs for most of it, I don't think anyone took a breath for like the first 30 mins! Normally I just tell the promoter no MCs and get the mic for myself just to say 'Hi' to the crowd every now and hype them up in my own way, (in Drunky German usually...) but when its a big sweaty rave with a bunch of Uk guys flown in and wandering round the stage there's not a lot I can do, especially if the mics are going into a separate soundman mixer. So yeah, had to just lap it up really - apologies if you couldn't hear the music as well as usual! ;-) (I'm not having a go at MCing in general by the way - I realise it requires skill, and has an essential place in the DnB scene - I just prefer to have very little or none on my sets, my music just isnt suited to traditional DnB MCing for the most part...)

More photos from the gig in Bremen here & here...

Ok, rant over!

Oh, and good news for those of you that grab my podcasts, I'll have some new ones very soon. I managed to get hold of the master copy of my set from the Apokalypsa party in Czech Republic 2 weeks ago. Initially I spazzed out - they'd recorded it without my knowledge, and then whackked it up all over the internet, again without telling me, which is a big no-no and Dj bookings contracts always stipulate its not allowed - but the big deal was how ILLLLL I was that day (the photos earlier in the blog should demonstrate) - so I was worried my set would have been totally poo - but in fact, its ace! So yeah, I'll be putting jingles over stuff to disguise all the new unreleased stuff and should have it up tomorrow. I'm doing a couple more of the 'Redux' electrotechno sets too for the XM Radio show so will podcast them for you also. Got loads of great new tracks for the gig that didn't happen on Friday and the gig coming up in Ulm, Germany on Saturday...

Ok, Tescos delivery here, gotta go - talk soon folks...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh man. all these dnb mcs are just crap. they destroy the whole music and atmosphere. next time you are around, ill bring a knif and cut thos tongues out. well j/k, but seriously, you are right. they are a pain.