Monday, March 08, 2010

Photos from Matter on Friday & details of my glorious but failed quest to Dresden!

Greetings blogosphere folks. Quick update of the weekend's activities just gone! Friday was ace - did the Hospitality Q&A&E seminar/demo thing at the British Music Experience in the o2 early on - although a bit late starting as Danny Byrd's vocalist locked their car keys in the boot!

I talked/mumbled my way through a quick demo of the Logic Project file of the last track I'd been working on in the studio - my remix/rework of Tritonal's epic trance track 'Suede', the original of which has just come out on Gareth Emery's Garuda label. I couldn't beleive I managed to get it to run on my MacBook (minus the nice TC Powercore reverb plug ins and a few others I didn't have installed on it) considering it has about 35 audio instruments running and over 40 other audio channels etc. One for the geeks to appreciate there anyway! Had fun answering questions from the audience too - there should be a video posted soon, so I'll get it up here when I find it.

Played Hospitality at Matter after a great dinner & catchup with everyone, including a very old friend of mine from University who now works in the City, but is still a big electronic music fan, and actually helped me move into DJing when we were at Uni by setting up the Uni Radio Station "Purple FM" when I was up in Durham. Nu:Tone was there too - and at Uni the same time as me so was great to get the old gang together. Oh and congrats to Mr. & Mrs. Nu:Tone on their THIRD baby! Building a mighty clan!

Was great to finally play at Matter - was really impressed at the organisation and set up - and oh my god the crowd! I'd been a bit miffed to get such a late set (4-5am) but man, it was HEAVING in there right till the bitter end, so respect to everyone that came out and were going so nuts!

Quality signs backstage at Matter:

IMG_1757


IMG_1756


My view from the stage at Matter:

IMG_1760


IMG_1759


Projoesnaps from tillate.com kindly sent me over his photos from Matter - you can see the whole gallery on my facebook here, but here's a few of my favourites:

John B @ Hospitality @ Matter 6.3.10


John B @ Hospitality @ Matter 6.3.10


John B @ Hospitality @ Matter 6.3.10


John B @ Hospitality @ Matter 6.3.10


Saturday wasn't so great, I ended up missing my gig in Dresden because of flight disruptions. :-(

Got a cab from the hotel in London to Paddington station (£35 - almost an hour) then the Heathrow Express to Heathrow T1 (another £20) checked in OK, but my flight to Munich ended up being delayed almost 2 hours, meaning I had to leg it across Munich Airport to make my connection in time, which turned out to also be delayed (waiting for crew to come in on a delayed flight from Cologne), so hung around another 1.5 hrs, then once we boarded, the bus to take us to the plane was late, so by the time we'd all got on the plane the pilot announced that as it was 11pm, we'd be arriving in Dresden when the airport was closed to flights, so we all had to get off the plane, onto the bus, get to the Lufthansa Service centre to get rebooked, hotel's sorted etc.

Sounds worse when you write it down than it was really, I just take these things as they come and do my best to storm it through the airport fast and efficient ninja stylee and at least get as near to the front of the lines as possible & deal with things calmly and efficiently. Was just a bit random to have been travelling all day to essentially just spend the night in the Munich airport hotel and gobble some nice room service and actually get a good night's sleep on a Saturday for a change! So apart from the hanging around, which wasn't too bad as I have business lounge access, it turned out OK for me really! hah! Anyway, we're rescheduling the gig, and I filmed this video below so all the fans know what was going on - I think they might have even projected it in the club in my absence ;-)



Here's a few of my iPhone photos as the day progressed - if you follow me on twitter you'd have seen them LIIVVVEEE. Woo!

Brunch at Heathrow:

IMG_1764


With Mistabishi's inspiring face at the BMI lounge at Heathrow, waiting for first delayed plane (and drinking free wine!)

IMG_1765


Storming it through Munich Airport with the determination of the terminator baddie in terminator 2. Except with a roller suitcase carry on & Adam Ant jacket.

IMG_1766


Another airport, another lounge. Recording my (unused) VIP intro for the Dresden gig:

IMG_1767


Snowplough Ballet at Munich Airport - on the bus to the plane:

IMG_1769


Guys behind me at the Lufthansa Service centre freaking out about the cancellation in loud German:

IMG_1772


IMG_1773


Finally, at the stroke of midnight, my 12819281th Hotel Club sandwich room service & laptop movie. Never gets old ;-)

IMG_1774


Nice Tunnel in Munich Airport:

IMG_1775


Finally back home to Miami packing & sunglass selection session!:

IMG_1776

No comments: